Daily “Dawn” Islamabad
Dated: Oct. 05, 2006
By Our Staff Reporter
ISLAMABAD, Oct 4: A human rights group has expressed dismay over what it said the government’s failure to arrest killers of a former provincial minister, Pir Syed Benyaineen Rizvi, and demanded urgent steps to provide justice to the heirs of the deceased.
Pir Benyameen, a prominent PML-N leader, was murdered alongwith two other companions in a very relentless way in broad daylight on a busy road in Lahore. Two years have passed but the culprits have yet not been arrested.
Government’s apathy is highly condemnable, said Mumtaz Ahmad Tarar, Human Rights Council of Pakistan chairman, while speaking at a press conference at Melody Press Club. Mr Tarar said the brother of the deceased approached the police station to register FIR against the culprits but he was turned back. The human tights chief said since then the relatives of Mr Rizvi had been running from pillar to post to get justice but in vain. Mr Tarar said this was the first murder in the history of the country which had yet to be probed.
He demanded of the chief justice, president and prime minister to take notice of the case and provide justice to the family of the deceased and warned that they would be compelled to approach international organizations of justice.
Daily “Pakistan Observer” Islamabad
Dated: Oct. 05, 2006
CJ URGED FOR ACTION IN, BINYAMIN MURDER CASE
ISLAMABAD - Former MNA Mumtaz Ahmad Tarar urged Chief Justice of Pakistan to take suo moto notice to investigate into the PML-N leader Pir Syed Binyamin Rizvi case, which has been pending for the last two years.
“Two years ago Rizvi along with two others was murdered in broad daylight and not only the culprits are on loggerhead but also no initiative has yet been taken by the government to investigate into the matter,” Mumtaz said while addressing a press conference here on Wednesday.
“The concerned senior police officer often refuses to meet me,” he recalled. Garden Town Police Station did not file the First Information Report (FIR) by the relatives and wrote another with their own version of the event.
He also accused the current regime of committing violation of human rights. There are hundred of families protesting either illeged enforced disappearance of dears by security agencies across the country. There are a large number of those picked up to win the so-called ‘war on terror,’ Mumtaz further added.
Earlier, in an application the family demanded of the President of Pakistan to take personal interest and investigate into the case. The President ordered IG Police but with no result. “If the CJ does not take suo moto notice we will request international human rights organization to take up the issue from their respective platforms,” said Mumtaz.
Daily “The Post” Islamabad
Dated: Oct. 05, 2006
HRCP TO CONTACT INTERNATIONAL HR BODIES IF BIN YAMEEN KILLERS NOT ARRESTED
ISLAMABAD: Upset by law enforcement agencies’ failure to arrest killers of former provincial Minister of Punjab Pir Syed Bin Yameen even two years after the murder, the Human Rights Council of Pakistan on Wednesday hinted at approach ing ‘international human ‘rights organisations if the assassins were not arrested and brought to justice at the earliest.
‘Bin Yameen was gunned down in’Lahore some two years ago by two unknown motorcyclists. After the murder, Yaqub Rizvi, brother of the victim, approached Garden Town Police Station of Lahore for getting an FIR registered against unknown killers but the Station House Officer of the said police station did not register the case.
Talking to reporters at Rawalpindi/Islamabad Press Club, the HRCP chairman, Mumtaz Ahmad Tarar, said it was a pity that the Garden Town Police had yet to register a formal case against the killers of former provincial minister.
According to him, the Inspector General of Police Punjab, after receiving directions from the presidency that was approached by Bin Yameen’s mother for early dispensation of justice, recently ordered police to investigate the killing but to no avail.
“This shows the government itself is not that motivated for bringing the killers of Bin Yameen to justice”, he opined.
He warned if the killers of Pir Bin Yameen were not arrested “soon”, the Council would make contacts with the international human rights organisations for pressuring government to dispense justice to the aggrieved family.
Daily “Dawn” Lahore
BINYAMIN ‘S MURDER YET TO BE INVESTIGATED
By Our Reporter
LAHORE., July 7: The Human Rights Council of Pakistan has decided to raise the murder case of former provincial minister Pir Binyamin Rizvi on the international for alike tile Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch because of failure of the government to start investigation into it.
Addressing a news conference at the Lahore Press Club here on Friday, former MNA Mumtaz Tarar said that investigation had not been started in the case even two years after the gunning down of former provincial vice-president of Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) and his two companions near the Punjab Assembly, New Campus. The murderers had escaped on a motorcycle despite the suspension of traffic on the busy road.
Binyamin’s brother Tariq Rizvi suspected government involvement in the murder in the application submitted to the Garden Town SHO for the registration of the case. The police registered an FIR on its own instead. The government did not hand over the body of the deceased to the bereaved family and transported it to Phalia instead. Hundreds of workers gathered for offering his funeral prayers in Lahore were rounded up.
He said that the police had not bothered to contact any member of the bereaved family during the past two years. The District Police Officer had refused to meet deceased’s brother Tariq Yaqub Rizvi despite repeated requests.
President Gen Pervez Musharraf had directed the IGP to hold an inquiry into the case and submit a report on two letters written to him by the mother of the deceased as army chief and president on June 25 last year but nothing had been done in this regard so far. The aged mother of the deceased and his orphaned children were still waiting for justice.
He said that inordinate delay in starting tile investigation of file murder case was strengthening suspicions that Pir Binyamin had been victimised by the government.
The Human Rights Council of Pakistan was left with no option but to raise the issue at international fora so that justice could be done to the bereaved family.
Daily “The News” Lahore
NEGLIGENCE IN MURDER PROBE CONDEMNED
By our Correspondent
CHAIRMAN Human Rights Council of Pakistan Mumtaz Ahmad Tarar condemned the government throwing the murder case of former PML-N leader Pir Biniyamin Rizvi Tarar in a cold storage for political reasons. He also warned the government of knocking the doors of foreign embassies and global bodies like Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and UN Human Rights Committee, Addressing a press conference on Friday, former MNA expressed concerns over what he called the deliberate brushing the issue under the carpet by the rulers in Binyamin murder case. He said it was perhaps the only murder case in country’s history whose investigations were not even started despite the lapse of two years. He said such criminal negligence showed that the rulers were involved in the ugly crime.
Tarar said Garden Town police refused to register an FIR on the application by his younger brother Tariq Rizvi. He said the aged mother of the slain leader was on the death bed waiting for some progress in the murder in investigations. He said the callous attitude of the authorities had left no option but to contact foreign missions and world human rights bodies seeking justice.
Daily “DAWN” Lahore
THREATS FOR PURSUING BINYAMIN CASE
LAHORE, July 9: Human Right Council of Pakistan chairman Mumtaz Ahmed Tarar has received a life threat for taking up the murder case of former provincial minister Pir Binyamin Rizvi.
Disclosing in a statement issued here, a spokesman of the Council said that two unknown people stopped the former MNA near the PIA Housing Society on Sunday morning and threatened to eliminate him if he continued to pursue the case. A report in this regard was lodged with the Sattu Katla police. – Reporter
(10th July 2006)
Govt trying to break up PML-N: Nawaz
| March 26, 2006 || Sunday || Safar 25, 1427|
By Our Staff Reporter
LAHORE, March 25: Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) chief Mian Nawaz Sharif opened a two-day meeting of his party’s central working committee on Saturday in London with a bitter denunciation of the present rulers’ policies and their alleged efforts to break up the party.
However, he said, the party had survived all attempts aimed at disintegrating it.
This is the first meeting of the reconstituted CWC after seven years.
He praised all those who had resisted pressure and temptations and refused to switch loyalties. He paid tribute to the late Advocate Iqbal Raad, Pir Binyamin and other party activists for their sacrifices.
PML-N president Mian Shahbaz Sharif also spoke.
The PML-N president told Dawn that the former prime minister would speak again at the conclusion of the meeting on Sunday after discussion on organisational matters.